Monday, December 21, 2009

Dedication of Nena's Chapel

On December 21, we had the pleasure of attending the dedication of the new St. Columb's Episcopal Church in Ridgeland. The new church has been in the works for many, many years, but this dedication was especially meaningful to my family as the church honored the memory of my Aunt Nena.

Let me take just a few minutes to tell you about my aunt, Nena-words won't do her legacy justice, but I'll give it a try. Nena had no children of her own and truly was a second mom to my sister and me. She was always willing to take on projects for and with us and never backed down from the challenge-back in the day, she let us tie-dye and puffy paint t-shirts and boxer shorts at her house, figured out how to make comic strip bows (remember those-anyone???) when our mom wouldn't pay the ridiculous amount of money they charged at Helen's, took us to movies for our birthdays, cross stitched special ornaments every Christmas, bought Courtney Pretty Woman (an R movie) when she was 13 (so cool), taught Courtney (and did her best to teach me) to drive a stick shift on her prized turquoise MR-2 sports car, hand crocheted animals and story book characters each Christmas throughout my childhood, and so much more. She always had a handful of toys from her office (rings, balls, yoyos-you know, the junk you get at fairs, but Courtney and I LOVED it)...even funny shaped paper clips that Court and I used for makeshift retainers (HEHE)...She cut my hair through my teenage years, always dropped what she was doing when I came over to visit, took millions of pictures to document our childhoods, "helped" us with countless sewing and jewelry making projects, and even learned how to sew children's clothes when Anna Claire was born. She listened when I needed her to, and talked when I needed that too. She loved her family with her whole heart and she loved her lifelong church with everything she had. She loved Courtney and me like we were her own children, and she spoiled us rotten. She was a beautiful woman, inside and out-witty, funny, kind, stubborn, warm, generous, independent, honest, spiritual. She was an aunt, daughter, sister, and friend. She wanted so badly to retire and give of her time and energy through community service.

She never had that chance...she was diagnosed with cancer in July 2006 and died that same October. She fought it like a champion and suffered tremendously. At the time of her death, she was the Senior Warden of her church and advocated tirelessly for a children's chapel. Children's formation was her passion, and her prayer was answered. The church was built and a beautiful, sunny space was set aside, designated as a place for children to worship God. The chapel was officially dedicated as Nena's Chapel, and we were honored to be there.



My precious Grams and her priest...




The Allison's...





I am so thankful that God shared her with us, and I know she is in heaven smiling down on us!

"Until we meet again, my friend, may God hold you in His hand"
Irish Blessing

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful blog post! She really was a special lady--I am very honored to have known her. I think about her all the time! What an awesome way to honor her legacy!

Unknown said...

La, what a special surprise this morning! Thanks for posting.....I've got tears in my eyes right now. Happy tears! So fun being reminded of so many wonderful times we had together with Nena! Love you and thanks for making my day a special one! I sure do miss her!

Maggie Ethridge said...

I don't know how I missed this sweet post. I was just scrolling through your blog and saw the pictures. I'm so glad for y'all that the chapel is finally finished- what a sweet way to honor Nena.